Friday, January 9, 2015

The trip to New York is now planned for one week, including a first night dinner at Mike’s parents home in Brooke House ( one of the best addresses in NY ) and then the engagement party at the University Club. Over the weekend there will be a kitchen shower and luncheon and on Sunday, the theater: a matinee of “Book of Mormon”.Turns out, my entire clan is invited and they are all coming: son Keith and wife Laurel from Vermont; daughter Kelly, Peter and Connie from Boulder, daughter Kami and grandson Addie with me from Hawaii. We are all staying in the same small hotel in Soho, which is close to where Mele and Mike live and work. Having most of my gang there is an extra, unexpected delight; we’ve time to play together in my favorite city. Meanwhile, back at the Castle (nah nah nah, jus keeding), plans were being made for the main event, the Aspen affair. Folks were being considered for each venue, of which there were now six, counting Hawaii as Numba One! (done): 2) Boulder;(done) 3) NYC in mid-Sept.; 4) Connecticut: other grandma 5) Chicago: other grandma 6) Aspen: January 2015. Having declined Aspen, I asked if my brother Neal might go in my place, and was told firmly, and understandably no; they were keeping the numbers as low as possible at the top. Also, you went up in a gondola (yuk); another good reason NOT to be going…I got sick on the one up to Table mountain in CapeTown at Keith’s first disastrous marriage in 1990. Somewhere I heard $60,000 to rent all the gondolas in Aspen for the Saturday night of the affair??? However, both Kami and Addie will go, as will the other sibling. Yes, I can stay home alone without my daughter and grandson for them to go to Aspen! With today’s technology (Skype, FaceTime), I won’t miss much of the goings on, without shivering my old bones. Also, helpers are available for me here, along with wonderful neighbors, especially Ellen and Lars : being ex- long time New Yorkers, they are veritable fonts of info re NYC and environs, as well as happily opening their closets for us to borrow whatever we need. And the Clothes! the Furs! the Bags! the Luggage! A veritable cornucopia of goodies from their largess was suddenly, wondrously available. Such neighbors everyone should have……generous, smart and fun. Unfortunately, Ellen’s shoe size didn’t match mine.
Little brother Neal, 10 years my junior, was born just in time for me to give up being the son my folks so wanted and become a girl. He lives in Nairobi, has been a venture capitalist all over Africa for many years, married, has a home in south France  to which he soon expects to retire. Now visiting London for his godson’s* wedding, he and his Finnish wife Pirkko are invited to the soiree at the University Club, as well as the dinner at the Lessings’ home. I’ve visited him a few times in Africa but it has been ages since we’ve seen each other. Last time was when Kami and I were in London and joined him or the Queen’s Club Tennis tournament.
Back at the Castle,( keeding!) “Hold the Date” boxes were mailed: lovely packaging, even the stamps were beauties. Inside were swivels of white paper (snow) and M and M’s smiling faces in ski gear asking you to hold the date on what looked like (and was) a three-day pass for skiing. It also gave their website, which was another surprise! Go on MELEANDMIKE.COM and see for yourself: delightful pictures, graphics, and all the info you would need to be in Aspen in January. Very classy, indeed.
Meanwhile, I still don’t have the right shoes, and my jewelry needs cleaning. I’ve made appointments with several of my many docs including my dentist and dermatologist, and have scheduled a facial, haircut, mani’s and peddie’s. I also made a change in my will, and got my college ring fixed……..things I was going to do ‘some day’. I still have to order leis, pick up alterations, have a blood test & do seemingly a million other this and that’s before leaving. And I promised myself I’d do yoga daily and drink lots of water and swim the length of the pool every day til we go……so far (two weeks out) I’ve kept my promise.
Oh yes, the wedding dress! No details yet, except off-white. No bridesmaids. Having attended Mele’s college graduation, I’d guess she has so many women friends she couldn’t choose. And it will take 5 months to create. She will also be wearing a couture label at the University Club official engagement party in September, also off- white. Connie, Kami and I are still talking about what to wear to which events; we all agree  underdressing is best, however, on the other  hand….…it’s a chance to really dress up, get  fancy again, give those vagabond shoes a  chance to dance in the Big Apple! At my age,  it’s my swan song, so why not splurge,  spend some of that principal on something  besides college tuition, family gatherings  and furniture. Easily enough, I talked  myself into totally undoing the purse strings and spending like I’ve never spent before; oblivious to price, if I wanted it, I got it. ‘Once in a lifetime,’ remember? So we decided dressing up would be totally appropriate for the bride’s family and Connie will go long. Kami may do cocktail length, what I wear depends on getting the right shoes.
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
More.. https://oahucork.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/tutu-goes-to-new-york-part-3/

Powered by: BKGjewelry