Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Mixed Metal in a Mixed Up World

I used to see things in black and white when I was younger. Over time, I have discovered the color gray, and I like it. Gray means that you take a little from here, a bit from there, and a dollop from another pile. It’s a mixture that generally yields beautiful, and sometimes fair, results.
As much as I want to think that I’ve reached a place in my life where I see different sides, there were some areas where I held steadfast to black and white thinking. One area in particular was jewelry. I know, not the revolutionary statement you were expecting, but hear me out if you have a few minutes.
When I was a freshman in college, I made the decision to only wear silver jewelry. There were several girls in my aerobics class that I deemed as cool — so cool I never mustered the courage to talk with them. Nevertheless, they wore tons of silver jewelry, which, in my book, made them super cool. From then on, I only wore silver. Occasionally I would dabble with a couple of gold pieces, but for the most part, I only wore silver.
Over time, this rule began to cripple my fashion life. I would see a beautiful purse but refused to buy it because it had gold hardware. I’d be drawn to a colorful blouse, only to reject it because of its gold buttons. Hours were spent scouring the internet for pieces that featured silver rather than gold.
Then one day I was reading a column by Adam Glassman in Oprah magazine that changed my accessory life. He said it was fine to mix silver and gold. In that single moment I realized that I didn’t have to choose. I could mix the metals and create a look of my own. I didn’t have to be strictly on team silver; I could explore other things.
While jewelry is a trivial thing in this world of disease and terrorist attacks, this realization was liberating for me. If I didn’t have to choose metals, I could experience so many more looks. In addition, I as able to get out of self-proclaimed style slump.
More.. http://positate.wordpress.com/2015/01/07/mixed-metal-in-a-mixed-up-world/

Powered by: BKGjewelry