Friday, January 30, 2015

GLAM ROCKS

Enter your email address to follow this blog for a regular blast of fabulous fashion!
Join 602 other followers


                       
                       
                       
                       
                       
                                               
                   

There’s a new glamour in town and it’s a little bit Ziggy Stardust sparkles, a little bit Marc Bolan hair. While I don’t have the bee-stung lips of Lindsey Wixson or the bone structure of Karlie Kloss to pull off the full Marc Bolan shag, I wanted to dip my toe into the trend without flailing about in the local Splashworld and gaining a few verrucae in the interim.

When I saw Cara Delevingne appear in the Topshop Christmas campaign wearing this dress, me being particularly sparse of brow and therefore obsessed with the thick-browed ‘super,’ I was set on getting this look. I am not enough of a hipster to own a record player, but I do enjoy looking through vinyl and seeing what gems may appear. I also have a particularly fond memory of a pair of friends I had in Ames, Iowa, who lived together in a sort of halfway house with registered sex offenders and an army of bed bugs. The fond memory was of the couple and their happy-go-lucky attitude to living cheaply, not of the registered sex offenders or the bed bugs. The pair of them were a hipster tour de force; a Bertrand Russell fanatic feminist with a college major in dance and unapologetically hirsute underarms and a tattoo artist with stretched ears and a penchant for deeply offensive statements. I have lovely memories of listening to records in their house and sipping bottles of Red Stripe, only to find out subsequently that their house was infested by a swarm of bed bugs. Nasty little buggers.

The rings I’m wearing are from Om Diva, the shop that gives me so much joy, I’m merely titillated at the mention of it. I swan about, picking up every item, relishing its beauty and being a big fan girl, trying on whatever I can squeeze into, and buying whatever’ll have me. The shop assistants all look like they’ve come straight from an editorial over at i-D magazine or the set of an FKA Twigs/Bat for Lashes video shoot. Think Debby Harry via Joan Jett with a tinge of Karen Elson. I know!
What’s your take on the 70s redux? Will you be embracing it whole hog or slowly retreating backwards in horror? Do you think I leaned sufficiently sexily against the wall or have I a long way to go when it comes to insouciant self-draping of walls? Will Jessica Fletcher ever visit an area where there isn’t a brutal and uncannily complicated murder? Should I give my cankles a rest from the skinnies and give in to flares? These and all your burning questions (not effigies though), to The Fashion Horn. Stat.

Outfit details
Shirt: Vintage silk from Gorta charity shop on Capel Street, €8. Similar available at Topshop here.
Dress: Topshop AW14 as worn by Cara Deleveigne available on sale here, €22.50.
Shoes: Office previous season, similar here.
Tights: Wolford Satin deluxe black, available at Arnotts, here, €45.
Bag: Louis Vuitton speedy 30, gift, available at Brown Thomas for €565 or try Siopaella here.
Earrings: Antique amber, from Rhinestones, Andrew’s Street, Dublin.
Make-up look: Original Naked Palette, Urban Decay. Available at Debenhams or House of Fraser, approx €40. Online here. Bobbi Brown lipgloss, Estee Lauder foundation, Benefit Blusher.
More.. https://thefashionhorn.wordpress.com/2015/01/29/glam-rocks/

Powered by: BKGjewelry