Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I had never wept more tears on that black gravel ground
than that Tuesday midnight when you
walked briskly to your damaged, silver car.
You banged the door in my face
as I watched you place your hands at the ten and two,
and your desperate eyes search for the key.
You had already grabbed your favorite jewelry box
with your prized possessions:
the sapphire stone necklace, and pearl earrings Grammy gave you.
But what was I?
Merely the child you left to raise on her own,
come home from school to an empty house,
help herself with her impossible long division problems,
read her own Junie B. Jones stories,
and make her own Stouffer’s turkey tetrazzini.
Even though I told you to come home soon,
you didn’t listen,
and I knew you wouldn’t.
And as the car sped down the driveway,
hitting branches making the yellow, green leaves
More.. https://jenvz.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/driveway-departure/

Powered by: BKGjewelry