Saturday, March 7, 2015

Willpower – or lack thereof

     So as it goes with most of the women I know, I have been trying to diet. I do this often so that I don’t spread farther than my chair will comfortably hold me.  Usually during the work week I do great.  I plan my dinner menu at least a week in advance (and sometimes two).  I pack my lunch – usually salad, fruits, vegies and light protein.  I stay on track and try to avoid temptations.  I have to admit that weekends are usually a bit harder – there is just so much more to choose from…Anyway. this week was no different until…
Well, let me back up just a little bit and let you know that there is a small church in our area that sells hotdogs with all the trimmings and homemade desserts on Friday’s, and they deliver.  I am not a big hot dog fan, so I don’t usually go in with everyone on the weekly order.  Today however, I happened to be walking by my coworkers desk when she was calling in the order.  I was stopped dead in my tracks by the words “Oh you have the chocolate eclair dessert”.  I had no idea what a chocolate eclair dessert was, but hello, it had the words chocolate and eclair – how could I go wrong.  I immediately signaled her that I wanted one of these scrumptious sounding desserts.  Did I mention that they are homemade by real women that actually spend time baking?  Anyway, as I ordered the dessert my brain convinced by body to bribe my willpower to move to the back burner.  The internal conversation went something like this…
Willpower:  Ok, we can cheat a little and have the dessert after our salad.
Appetite: “Well, it is not awful to have a dessert once in a while and If we are going to have a decadent dessert, we might as well make this a cheat day, and have a hotdog too.  Then again, one hot dog really doesn’t go very far, and they are only a dollar so we better make it two.  I am sure I have at least a few dollars in my pocketbook…”
So instead of my very healthy, and I am sure delicious spinach salad with fresh strawberries and feta cheese I downed 2 hotdogs (all the way of course) and a generous helping of chocolate eclair dessert.  Appetite 1 Willpower 0
Is it like that for anyone else?
This seems to be a recurring problem…
Last week we had a light dusting of snow, and in the south that means everything closes down.  Since I was given an unplanned day off I thought of all the things I could do. Cleaning, reading, starting a new jewelry project, or finishing one of my works in progress – the list was endless.  But what did I end up doing?  I started craving cheesecake blondies which one of our local bakeries makes and they are to die for.  The only problem was – I don’t drive around in snow unless absolutely necessary.  So instead, I spent an hour or so looking on the internet at recipes. I finally found a recipe for cheesecake blondies that sounded like the ones from the bakery. I made a 9×13 pan full, and proceeded to eat all of them (not by myself, although I probably could).  By the way, while they were good, the ones at the bakery are far better…have to keep searching for the recipe, since bowtie man (the owner) won’t give it to me.  Appetite 2 Willpower 0
Well, when my scale starts laughing again in the morning maybe I will try to pack in some more rabbit food…but until then, does anyone have a good recipe for cheesecake blondies?