Friday, March 6, 2015

Invasion of Privacy

   This week has been eventful. I officially registered for the Geneva Half Marathon and have been slacScreen Shot 2015-03-01 at 8.31.11 PMking on training. I follow the Hal Higdons Novice 1 training schedule. Bud and my friend Mary are running it with me. Each day I wake up planning to run but get busy doing other things on my to do list. What side tracked me the most this week? Someone broke into our apartment!
Talk about scary. I came home around 4pm and saw some of our knives laid out on the floor mat. I didn’t even go into the apartment. I just turned around and ran. My mom was face timing me when I discovered my apartment. Needless to say she was a wreck being so far away unable to help me. Bud was at work an hour away, so my friend Katie (who has been studying french) came to my rescue and stayed with my until the police and my husband showed up. Thankfully they didn’t take much, we were wearing all of our most valuable items.  Bud used that as an opportunity to crack a joke about how he doesn’t buy me enough nice jewelry and how lucky we are. I’m not sure I feel lucky about the jewelry piece but glad they didn’t get a chance to take it. They ruined some of our Cutco knives and a few hundred francs, so all in all we are very lucky! IMG_4417
Katie’s french came into good use, after the police did there investigation, Katie arranged a lock smith to come and fix our door. Then it was time for clean up. Having some strange invade you home, your privacy and comb through your things is a strange feeling. You constantly questions the people walking by your building, wondering if they are still around. Question each “strange” noise you hear in your building, etc. It’s almost as if I don’t trust anything anymore. Who saw all my personal belongings? Who touched my things?
What type of person does this? I feel very judgmental about this. You would have to be a coward, selfish, desperate, in need? They must have had a plan, the way they entered our home was organized, this was definitely not their first try. It’s done. I wish this on no one! I pray they are ridden with guilt and develop a conscious!