Saturday, March 28, 2015

Hiding behind the screen

   good evil
This is a short post and I’m hoping for some feedback. The internet is a vast and sometimes confusing place. Within its virtual walls we’re not only capable of finding large amounts of information, we also have the opportunity to get to know people as they really are. Over the years I’ve been involved in numerous forums, some professional, some personal and some simply for fun. One thing that has fascinated me, and still continues to fascinate me, is how people act when they get behind the screen.
A friend of mine has this theory that, once some people slip in behind that screen, all their inhibitions simply melt away and they behave in ways contrary to their ‘real life’ personality.  I only partly agree. I do believe we are more prone to let lose a bit behind our screens, I do not however believe we behave different to our real life personalities. In fact, I believe the character that shines through the words we type on our computers, is closer to the ‘real’ thing than what we project to the physical world. I believe our personalities and character is exposed for all to see in our virtual comments and discussions. After all, the reader of a comment is not distracted by the writer’s dazzling smile, or imposing figure. They cannot be impressed by trendy clothes or expensive jewelry. They might not initially know the status, title or credentials of the person typing the words on a screen. All they have to go on, is the words and the ‘attitude’ that seeps into those words.
What are your thoughts? Have you been witness to someone having a ‘split personality’ on and off screen? What about you – are on the same on and off line?