Saturday, March 14, 2015

As My Mother Would Want Me To Write About: Australia pt5

   I’m very aware that my last post was hella awkward , so I’ll try to make sure this one is a bit better. The next stop in Australia that I can think of at the moment would be the Lone Pine Sanctuary. Yep, I’m talking about the one where Ed Sheeran, 1D, Birdy, Slipknot, Simple Plan, Jackie Chan, Joan Jett, John Feldman, the Queen’s mother, and the Pope, just to name a few. Yes, you did read the Pope. Basically I stood where all these celebrities did. If that doesn’t make someone feel pretty awesome about themselves, I don’t know what does. Celebrities aside (because once they’re dead, they don’t really matter anymore), they have this giant field/cage where there’s like 40 kangaroos, 20 wallabies, and 3 emus. To say the least, it’s super awesome. My life is pretty much made, after cuddling with kangaroos. Cooler than being at the same place where all those celebrities, trust me. There are obviously other parts to the sanctuary, other than those, like the farm section where they demonstrate how they shear sheep; another section where they have birds with a feeding demonstration, etc. Describing every single cage and section of the whole entire sanctuary would take a lot of time, so I’ll just insert a digital map of the place in this post.
lone-pine-koala-sanctuary
I would highly recommend it, if you’re in the Brisbane area. Of course, all these people have been there, so it’s only normal that it would be fun.
After Brisbane, we decided to head 3h north, up to Hervey Bay. We didn’t do much in Hervey Bay, except book our first tour ever as a family. It sounds crazy, but with all the travelling our family has done around the world, the first time we had booked a tour as a whole family for the first time was when I was 14, and my brother 11. Speaking of which, my brother’s birthday happened while we where in Australia. Which was pretty cool for him, and sucky for me since he got to celebrate HIS BIRTHDAY in AUSTRALIA and I had to celebrate it in my good ol’ country house. Actually fuck that, mine was cool, since I was the last one to have my birthday in that house. Fuck yeah.
We where in Coolum Beach to celebrate it, and all I can remember from that beach is that we got really bad sunburns all over our backs so bad that I couldn’t put a bra on without dying of pain. Other than that, I had Dominic’s Pizza for the first time in my life, and it was really awesome. Not sure if that should be considered a milestone in someone’s life, but I guess I’ll put this on here either way.That’s kind of the only things that people would care to know about, so yeah, that’s basically Coolum Beach for you. Back to Hervey Bay. So we booked our tour, and while my parents where negociating the price, as I looked around, I realized that there were some of those tacky tourist shop jewelry on some racks. Then, I looked a bit closer, and realized that the name of the brand was called “Celeste’s Jewelry”. Like how cool is that? For those who didn’t realize it, my name IS Celeste. I hope you had realized. Pretend you did, ok?
So I ended up taking a picture, of course, yet for some reason I can’t seem to be able to find it, on my laptop… Sorreh.
The tour started out pretty cool; you had to get on this boat that brought you to the island, but I think the coolest part was the busses. They kind of looked like coach busses, yet they also looked like one of those boat-busses. Have you ever seen one of those? They kind of looked like a mix of those two. The entire island is made out of sand, so it makes sense that the buses wouldn’t be normal-looking busses hahaha. But the island is so small and peaceful, that I wonder if I should go back one day, once I’m 18. It’s a very beautiful place, really. There’s a natural spring that starts from the core of the island, and goes all the way to the ocean, called Eli Creek. It’s a little river that runs about two feet deep, at the deepest part of it. But the water is oh so clear, that it looks like tap water. As a matter of fact, the water is so clean you can drink it, and I can say that it tasted like the best water you’ll ever taste. Screw the chlorine freshness, this is some next level fresh; granted you take a gulp at the end of the boardwalk, where people jump it. It’s also where the water is coldest, but it’s honestly so refreshing, especially when you’ve been having Australia’s summer sun on you for the past two weeks.
Wait until you get to Brazil’s sun, past self.
That didn’t make sense wow.
Oh yeah, my neighbour gave birth the other day.
I can hear their baby crying.
They live in the house right beside us, and theres a solid 5ft in between us.
And people ask me why I wouldn’t want a child, psh.
Ok I lied. I don’t know if I want a child, but that’s aside the point. Or maybe it’s just the sound of the movie that my brother and mother are watching in the air vents… No matter, I shall continue.
I’ve come to the conclusion that they’re watching Frozen.
ANYWAYS
After Eli creek, we got back in the bus, and drove for a couple more minutes to the Maheno ship wreck. It’s a ship that was used as a cruise liner before the first world war, and then used as a medic boat during the war. After the war, it had been too old to be able to go back to being a cruise ship, and too used to be used again as a military ship, so the government decided to wreck it in the ocean, and it finally washed up on the shores of Fraser Island. Because of its age, it isn’t a boat as whole anymore, but its basically this giant rusty thing that makes really good pictures. Also, if you end up seeing it, make sure to try to sneak yourself into the boat itself, towards the back, where you’ll be able to see the ocean from cabin windows and broken down walls. Also makes really pretty backgrounds. The other option would be to opt for a ‘traditional’ mermaid pose at the front of its bow, and strike a Titanic similar pose.
The next destination on this small island was the famous Lake Mckenzie, where the water is the bluest you’ve seen. There’s actually two different shades of the colour. The lightest blue would be the ones where people take pictures in it, and if you take out the reflection of the light, and the magnification, it looks like you aren’t even in the water. Then there’s a really steep drop of a couple feet, and that’s the darker blue. When we went there, there had been too much rain, so flooding happened, and the blues weren’t as beautiful as they are normally portrayed in the famous pictures.
Apparently this lake also holds spiritual value to the indigenous people. They say that it’s a basin of purification, and the sand is like soap. So if you scrub some sand in your hair, apparently it would make it healthier, and better in general, whilst the water would polish all your jewelry. My father when he heard this he was like “Ok that’s pretty cool”, and then proceeded to take of his wedding bands to polish them in the water, without my mother noticing. I don’t think my mother was very happy…. Or at least, if she seemed indifferent, she was probably upset on the inside, and probably hurt because she didn’t speak much for the next couple of minutes.
Oh yeah, and our bus driver at one point beckoned my brother over to where she was, close to a shaded area, with some random stairs, and was like “Check it out! It’s a rattlesnake!”, and of course, my father, being my father, ran out of the water with my brother, went up to the driver and started looking as curious and excited as a kid on christmas.
So my father is someone who won’t go on a roller coaster with you, but he’ll be the first one to drag you to go see a wild rattlesnake. All right, that makes lots of sense.
Anyways, I feel like this is enough for one entry, since it’s around 1500 words…
I’m pretty sure the next entry should be the last one about Australia, unless that’s what I said last time… Oops?
*sigh* well, at least I typed everything out of my system pretty good, so I feel quite happy with myself. I’m pretty sure that’s worth something, right?
Adios muchachos
P.s. the featured image is the end of Eli creek, the bus you see is one of the kind of buses they used, and the other stretch of water would be the pacific ocean.