Sunday, March 29, 2015

Jobs

   I was thinking this morning about all of the jobs I’ve held over the years.  I started working when I was 13 and haven’t really quit.  There was a short period of a year or so where I stayed home when my daughter was in kindergarten but other then that, I’ve always worked.  I get restless and bored when I’m not working.  I like being part of a team and feeling like I’m an important cog in the great big machine of life.  I’m happy when I’m contributing, in some way, to the bigger whole.
I’ve never had a job before where I only work Monday through Friday, 8 to 5.  It’s strange but nice to have one now.  Every job I’ve ever had before this one, I have worked odd hours and odd days; sometimes 14 hours at a time, sometimes 7 days a week, sometimes only 3 days a week.  I have worked grave yard, doubles, swing shifts, afternoons, evenings.  I’ve bussed tables, been a waitress (Tipping is not a city in Chine, people), a bartender (again, Tipping is not a city in China), a hotel manager (quite harrowing, actually, especially when you get to find dead people in bathtubs and lost children whose half drunken parents are frantically searching for them), a kennel assistant (DOGS! YAY!), a gas station manager, and a medical assistant (my current thing which I enjoy).  I’ve worked in manufacturing in a class 10 clean room (bunny suit, look it up if you don’t know what it is), in labs, in a nursing home (wiping butts and washing nuts!).  I’ve been a telemarketer (sorry if I called you during Sunday supper), a debt collector (sorry, again, for being such a dick if I called you) and a very short stint as a jewelry maker (my own stuff, leaning heavily toward metal/wire work and chain maille), and a housekeeper (one of the reasons I think people are generally awful, disgusting animals).  All of these jobs help make the world go round.  I paid my share of taxes.  I worked until I had blisters upon blisters.  I have scars on my hands from broken glasses and a permanently fucked up back from carrying stock and throwing luggage on trains (I once threw 127 suitcases onto the Grand Canyon Railway train in 23 minutes).  If I were to add every job I’ve ever had to my resume, it would be about 5 pages too long.
What jobs have you had?  Are you proud of them or do you conveniently “forget” about them when it’s time to fill out that application?